My vegetarian diet plan for weight loss is an offshoot of my Miami Diet Plan. It starts with a medical evaluation, lab tests, and metabolic profile. It also includes a discussion to discover your the reasons why you have gained weight-both vegetarian and non-vegetarian foods. By eliminating a few bad foods, we can help you lose weight as a vegetarian or vegan. We also help you avoid and replace some so-called “healthy” foods that are loaded with carbs and causing weight gain.
Popular Keto Diet Has Led to No Carb Vegetarian Products
Many vegetarian diets in the past are directed to rice, pasta and potatoes as substitutes for meat based products. The popularity of the Keto diet with emphasis on no carb food products has led to the development of many low carb vegetarian foods suitable for weight loss while maintaining a vegan life style. Sugar substitutes especially using the natural Stevia and Monk Fruit is encouraged, Weight loss medication is also available on this plan, if necessary.
Lo carb Vegetarian diets for weight loss have become very popular in South Florida. This is especially true with the South Beach crowd that is into organic and healthy food and lifestyles. There are more than 30 vegan restaurants and that many markets between Key West and Palm Beach! Even for vegans that eat large amounts of carbohydrates, weight loss does not have to be difficult. The problem is usually finding low calorie non-animal protein sources and watching saturated fats and sugar. Learning to read nutrition label is the key to choosing the best foods.
Vegetarians, Health, and Weight Loss: Searching for Low Carb Vegetarian Foods
Overall, vegetarians and vegans are less likely to be overweight and generally have lower blood pressure, triglycerides and cholesterol than meat eaters. However, overweight and obesity does exist in the vegetarian population. This happens despite all of the low-calorie foods available. Some vegetarians and vegans eat large amounts of carbs and do have weight problems. Vegetarian and vegan prepared foods in general contain just as much sugar as traditional non-vegetarian varieties.
Many people do not compensate for the vitamins and minerals they are not receiving after eliminating meat and dairy. Some do not have a sufficient intake of complete proteins or enough complimentary protein sources that form a complete protein when consumed together. Some vegans and vegetarians believe that due to their strict choice of diet that does not include high-fat meat, they can eat more processed foods. That’s why a well-rounded vegetarian diet plan for weight loss guided buy a health care professional is so important.
There are very few good vegan and vegetarian diets for weight loss. Although not a vegan diet, Weight Watchers can be adapted to the vegan lifestyle. Since the emphasis is on fruits and vegetables with low points, there is a lot of food from which one can choose. However, it really is not the best choice for weight loss.
Types of Vegetarian Diets
- Lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet: Eliminates meat, fish and poultry but allows eggs and dairy products.
- Lacto-vegetarian diet: Eliminates meat, fish, poultry and eggs but allows dairy products.
- Ovo-vegetarian diet: Eliminates meat, fish, poultry and dairy products but allows eggs.
- Pescetarian diet: Eliminates meat and poultry but allows fish and sometimes eggs and dairy products.
- Vegan diet: Eliminates meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy products, as well as other animal-derived products, such as honey.
- Flexitarian diet: A mostly vegetarian diet that incorporates occasional meat, fish or poultry.
- Summary Most people who follow a vegetarian diet don’t eat meat, fish or poultry. Other variations involve the inclusion or exclusion of eggs, dairy and other animal products
Links to More Information on Dr Lipman’s Low Carb Vegan Weight Loss Plan:
Ready for Low Carb, Low Calorie Vegetarian Cooking?
There are more than 100,000 recipes on line for low Carb, lower calorie food recipes is found on-line, for free at Yummly.com.
Dr. Lipman’s Food Suggestions for His Low Carb, Low Calorie Miami Vegan and Vegetarian Diet Plan
- Fruits (5 per day): apples, peaches, all berries, pears, oranges, grapefruits, tangerines, cantaloupes, nectarines, (limes and lemons are free). Berry portions are 1/2 cup.
- Vegan High Protein Products: New products include Impossible Burger, Beyond Burger, Lightlife Burger, Uncut Burger
- Seasonings (unlimited): lemon, garlic, thyme, parsley, plum vinegar, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, basil, pepper, balsamic vinegar, garlic salt
- Vegetables (unlimited): spinach, lettuce, cucumbers, cabbage, tomatoes, asparagus, onions, celery, broccoli, radishes, kale, Brussels sprouts, green beans, mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, cauliflower, dill pickles, bean sprouts, beets, squash, egg plant, bok choy, pumpkin
- Beverages: diet sodas, green tea, black tea, carbonated water, coffee, tea, crystal light, Diet V-8 Splash, Lactose free soy milk or Almond milk permissible in small quantities, PowerAde Zero (like Gatorade® with no sugar)
- Salad dressings: Wishbone or Ken’s low fat dressings, Walden Farms No Calorie-No Fat-No sugar dressing, NO OLIVE OIL
- Condiments and Additives: Equal, Splenda, Stevia, Heinz reduced sugar Ketchup, soy, Tabasco, Picante, horseradish, PAM and other no calorie aerosol based cooking sprays, pickles, olives, sugar free salsa, soy mayonnaise
- Noodles: Vegetable rice, pasta, and potatoes made from Zucchini, Cauliflower and/or lentils; Miracle noodles, Shirataki noodles (usually found in the produce section of the supermarket since they must be kept cold)
- Crackers (3 a day): Melba toasts, Grissini breadsticks, Wasa, Finn, Gilda toasts, Flatout Light wrap (a no sugar, no fat, high protein wrap), La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Wraps, a few low carb breads: 40 calories, 5 net carbs/slice.
- Snacks: Soy Crisp Chips, Walden Farms Spreads, Sugar free popsicles, Hummus (watch the amount of olive oil–Weight Watchers has a low calorie, low olive oil recipe), vegetarian cheese, bars and shakes.
Download PDF complete Low Carb Vegan Weight Loss Shopping List: Vegan Low Carb Shopping List
all 305-670-3259 to Make an Appointment with Dr. Lipman in his Miami Office